- Discusses the theory and basics in communication.
- Deals with issues facing communicators in cross-cultural situations whether it is in local or international context.
- Why should anyone study cross-cultural or inter-cultural communication?
- As a person of God, who is called to preach His Gospel, you need to understand how people from different cultures speak, communicate, and perceive the world around them. This way, you will be able to know how to communicate the Gospel to them in the best way they could understand and absorb the message.
- This is a very important course especially for Christians who have Apostolic calling. Such will require them to cross cultures where they will experience major adjustments.
- Everyday, we also face cultural differences even in our local contexts. We need to understand these differences and this course will help every student to be more open minded or gain a wider perspective of things regarding cultures especially about faith.
- What will a student gain from this course?
- Getting a wider perspective about people, the world, the Bible, and God.
- Learning to be more responsible and take on with a mature way of dealing with cultures, whether it is local or international contexts.
- Can you give a biblical example when someone used cross-cultural skills to communicate to the listener?
- Acts 17:23, When Paul used the Greek gods of Athens as his entry point for preaching the Gospel.
- Jesus Himself who became flesh and dwelt amongst us, in John 1.
If we want to be truly incarnational then this and other courses at TTA are essential.
- Define and apply terms that are related to cross-cultural communication
- Explain the process of cross-cultural communication
- Develop a relationship with a person of another culture
- Analyze his/her own cultural preferences and values – worldview
- Apply cross-cultural terms and situations to real life situations
- Identify his or her own cultural verbal and non-verbal communication habits as a basis for improving communication in cross-cultural settings
- Identify cultural values, behavioral norms, and cultural dimensions that exist in specific groups of people
- Become cross-culturally competent
- Develop an integrated communication strategy for communicating with a specific group of people and sharing the message of Jesus Christ and His salvation.
Lingenfelter, Sherwood G. and Mayers, Marvin K. Ministering Cross-Culturally. Grand
Moraeu, Scott A., et.al. Effective-Intercultural-Communication. 2014.
Hesselgrave, David J.Communicating Christ Cross-Culturally. 2nd Ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1991.
Smith, D. K. (1992). Creating understanding: A handbook for Christian communication across cultural landscapes. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House. Rapids, Michigan: Baker Books, 1986.
Brian J. Hurn and Barry Tomalin. Cross- Cultural Communication Theory and Practice. 2013. download preview here
Cross Cultural Communication. Awl.edu.pl download here
Academic writing about Intercultural Communication. Download here
Some academic writings that I will send you.
- Reading Classes – Two books: (1) S. Lingenfelter ; and (2) S. Moraeu)
- Ministering Cross-Culturally
- Eighth (8) Quizzes
- Eighth (8) 750-word Essays.
- 1000-Word Movie Review (EE- Taow)
- Interactive Exercise Project
- Quizzes (30%)
- Essays/Reflection Papers (30%)
- Movie Review (20%)
- Interactive Exercises (20%)
A- Read Effective-Intercultural-Communication
- Part 1 Introducing Intercultural Communication
- What Is Intercultural Communication?
- The Story Line of Intercultural Communication
- Perspectives on Intercultural Communication
THEN DO ESSAY #1 AND QUIZ #1
- Part 2 Foundations of Intercultural Communication Patterns
- Worldview and Intercultural Communication
- Verbal Intercultural Communication
- Societies and Social Institutions
- Networks, In-Groups, and Social Change
THEN DO ESSAY #2 AND QUIZ #2
- Part 3 Patterns of Intercultural Communication
- Nonverbal Intercultural Communication
- Polychronic and Monochronic Time
- Individualism and Collectivism
- Social Power in Intercultural Communication
- Gender Roles
- Honor and Justice
THEN DO ESSAY #3 AND QUIZ #3
- Part 4 Developing Intercultural Expertise
- Cultural Adaptation 16. Intercultural Competence
- Intercultural Relationships
- Intercultural Evangelism
- Intercultural Discipleship
- Intercultural Church Planting
- Cross-Cultural Teaching and Learning
- Intercultural Ministry through Teams
- Conﬂict and Culture
- The Future of Intercultural Communication
THEN DO ESSAY #4 AND QUIZ #4
B- Read Ministering Cross-Culturally.
- PART 5
- God’s Metaphor for Ministry: Jesus, the Incarnate Son of God 1
- A Model of Basic Values 17
THEN DO ESSAY #5 AND QUIZ #5
- PART 6
- Tensions about Time 25
- Tensions regarding Judgment 38
THEN DO ESSAY #6 AND QUIZ #6
- PART 7
- Tensions Associated with Handling Crises 39
- Tensions over Goals 67
THEN DO ESSAY #7 AND QUIZ #7
- PART 8
- Tensions about Self-Worth 52
- Tensions regarding Vulnerability 93
- Ministering Cross-Culturally 105
THEN DO ESSAY #8 AND QUIZ #8
C- Watch the 2 videos entitled “Ee Taow”. Download Ee Taow 1 and Ee Taow 2 (link below)
Make a movie review.
D- Project: Interactive Exercise.
Make an interview with two people you know and try to know them as deeply as possible, knowing their culture and worldview. See if they are time-oriented or event oriented, high context or low context, and so forth. Make a vision about how you would effectively share the Gospel to each of them with what you have discovered about them. 2000 words.
Movie: “Ee Taow”
- Let your questions reach your teacher. Feel free to ask.
- Submit your output and be open for suggestions to improve your work always. It’s for you to grow.
- Enjoy the class, it is worth it!
- ICC- Course Introduction
- Protected: Intercultural Communication: Lesson One
- Protected: ICC_ Quiz One
- Intercultural Communication: Lesson Two
- ICC_ Quiz Two
- Intercultural Communication: Lesson Three
- ICC_ Quiz Three
- Intercultural Communication: Lesson Four
- ICC_ Quiz Four
- Intercultural Communication: Lesson Five
- ICC_ Quiz Five
- Intercultural Communication: Lesson Six
- ICC_ Quiz Six
- Intercultural Communication: Lesson Seven
- ICC_ Quiz Seven
- Intercultural Communication: Lesson Eight
- ICC_Quiz Eight
- ICC_Movie Review
- Project: Interactive Exercise